Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Growing Up

During the past several weeks, things have happened to people around me that remind me 1) just how precious life is, 2) just how fragile life is, and 3) just how fast life is going. For the past several years, our family has dealt with Courtney's chronic illnesses. Recently, Ari was diagnosed with a chronic illness. It has become our life. I don't necessarily like it, but I can handle it. Now it seems others are getting these diagnosis and I am realizing we don't live in a bubble.

My classmates and friends are now facing cancer, and chronic illnesses. In the last year, we have lost classmates, parents, siblings, grandparents, and children. I know it is going to happen, it just seems we have all of the sudden started growing up fast. I think I realized how quickly things can change with my classmate's diagnosis of breast cancer. We are the same age and have recently celebrated our 20 year class reunion. It seems like only yesterday we were in El Reno laughing and having a great time; not worrying about cancer. Since Tamera's diagnosis last week, a classmate has lost his mom and today another lost her grandmother. In the past month another classmate was told that her skin cancer had spread and she now has metastatic lung cancer.

All this to say, please realize how precious life is. Enjoy your children, your spouse, your parents, and your friends.

No comments: