Saturday, August 18, 2007

First First/Last First

Confused you with the title didn't I? Yesterday was quite a day for us. School started!

For Brittni, it was her last first day of public school. For Hunter, it was his first first day of public school. Brittni is a Senior, Hunter is in Kindergarten. What a milestone for our family. It's funny, when Brittni was in Kindergarten she wanted me to take her school, and even stay a while. Hunter on the other hand didn't even care if Mom took him to school. He told me it would be fine if Dad drove him since I had to get to my school. When Courtney got him there, he walked straight to his room and told Courtney "This is my room, bye Dad!" How's that for independence? Courtney did manage to grab a few photos before leaving Hunter for his first full day of school.

Brittni drove herself (She got her license in July). I did get pics of her before she left for school, but I resisted the urge to follow her to school and take pics of her walking in the building. She probably would have killed me anyway! Brittni drove Ari to her first day of 10th grade and I was lucky enough to take Connor with me. He is in the third grade this year and I work at his school.

It really does seem like only yesterday that Brittni was in Kindergarten and now we are doing all the things to prepare her for graduation. There are senior pictures, announcements, ACT test, college applications, and dorm roommate decisions. Hunter on the other hand is busy planning his back to school party, picking out new crayons, folders and backpacks.

I know this year will be full of "lasts" for us, but also a lot of "firsts". I can't wait, and then I want to wait! Those of you with kids out of high school know what I mean. There are days I want to tell Brittni--Don't let the door hit you on the way out, and then there are days, I want to tell her--it is okay to live at home until your 30.

Well, I guess I should go for now. Some of my college kids come home today and they will be joining us for meals since the cafeteria doesn't open until Monday. I need to clean up a little. We took the kids to the Hydro Free Fair tonight, and for those of you who don't know it is raining here and has been all day. We are soaked and the house smells of wet clothes, shoes and kids.

Have a great rest of your weekend. I will post the pics from school as soon as Courtney uploads them for me. Cindi

1 comment:

Meredith said...

i miss you! but i am not sorry that I am missing the flooding! I am so excited for y'all to start school! woohoo! love you tons!