Saturday, August 25, 2007

Pay it Forward

Ok, I know most of you have heard of the concept of paying it forward, but I want to encourage you to actually do it. As a rule in our family we do this often. I have tried to raise my kids with that principal always on the front of their minds. We have taken meals to the eldery, adopted college students, taken new neighbors fresh baked bread, etc. We even once paid a small bill at Wal-mart for a man who didn't know how to activate his credit card and therefore couldn't buy his groceries. Now we wouldn't have been able to do it if it was a large bill, but it wasn't and it was obvious neccessities--toilet paper, soap, food, etc. Well, yesterday the opportunity to do something nice happened again and I jumped on it. I want to encourage you guys to do the same. Some of you know that I was given a gift by a widower from my church. He wanted to do something for me and family as a way of saying thanks for some of the volunteer work I do. He bought my family a years membership to the Y. Wow, what a gift huh? We have loved it.

Well yesterday I was picking up Chinese food and I noticed him eating alone in the back of the restaraunt. When I paid my ticket I asked the lady if I could pay his too. Now she only speaks very little English and it threw her. At the time he was eating some watermelon and she kept asking "you want watermelon?". I explained several times what I wanted. It finally clicked and she let me pay his bill. I told her to not tell him it was me, just to tell him it was paid.

I was still in front of the restaraunt when he went to pay. The smile (and a small look of confusion) were priceless. He had not seen me in the restaraunt so he really had no idea who had done it. I couldn't help but feel happy inside. My boys thought it was great. Now, if they will only keep the secret. :0)

Now, I know that spending extra money isn't always going to be an option, but there are things that won't cost you more than you already spend. Take a few cookies from your batch and give them to a neighbor. Freeze a single serve portion of your leftovers and take to a widow or widower. Hold the door for someone. Clean out your closet and take the things you don't want, or can't wear to a shelter for women and children. Adopt a grandparent from your church who has no one close--Have them over for dinner, Invite the for tea, Pick them up and take them to the park or play their favorite card game with them. Anything to make someone else's day brighter.

I hope each of you can find a way to do something for 1 person. Then see how you feel. Keep me posted. I would love to see your ideas and maybe use them out here too!

No comments: